[chbot] Long distance data link, advice from the guru's please

Jasper Mackenzie jasper.mackenzie at gmail.com
Sat May 10 10:03:53 BST 2014

Good day fellow ROboticisers,
  I have the privilage of flying off to visit my gf's family in Alaska (you
know, the cringing Meet The Family awkward silences...), and her Dad runs
a lodge for people to show off their enormous lenses and fancy new
gigapixel cameras and glut out on Bears and stuff etc.

Anyway, he has bandwidth issues, all these fancy photographers want to
upload photos etc etc and he has one sattelite link limited to 4gb per
week. So I was thinking that maybe they could do a VHF (or similar) link
to the mainland which is 110km away across the sea. I have found a russian
company that had an interesting solution, but all seemed to need towers
~90m tall which would be a massive hazard as small planes are what these
outlanders use to get around.

Is there a solution? A data link with usable bandwidth for image
uploading, VoIP etc. that could work over 110km without a huge tower, that
I could get before june 1st? (Lets deal with licensing later 8)

Cheers

Jasper