[chbot] [Not quite robotics] Touch screen for RPi

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 09:37:47 BST 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Volker Kuhlmann
<list0570 at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> On Wed 23 Jul 2014 18:02:01 NZST +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
>
>> for a raspberry pi project, but wonder if anyone has any perspectives,
>> locally available products, or other wisdom.
>
> About 3 years ago I looked into small LCD touch screen components to use
> as part of a house control system. Prices rivalled those of a new cheap
> smartphone, and kicked themselves into /dev/null compared with a
> once-loved smartphone.
>
> The cost of RPi etc including memory cards and power supply isn't
> actually all that low. Consider just using a cheap android tablet, with
> free battery backup etc. From the usual places (DX, aliexpress,
> chinavasio.com, etc) my feeling is that the cost is similar to what you
> are planning.

Yes I do appreciate the true cost of a raspberry (I have three of them
now) and have considered the android alternative, which would also
work. However I am attracted to a non android solution because I like
the RPi HIFI DAC options (Hifiberry, Wolfson, or IQaudIO) and besides
this is a hardware project I might actually be able to complete LOL.

One of the RPis is reserved for the car, http://pibus.info for the curious.