[chbot] [Not quite robotics] Touch screen for RPi

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jul 24 00:10:09 BST 2014

On Wed 23 Jul 2014 18:02:01 NZST +1200, Nick Rout wrote:

> for a raspberry pi project, but wonder if anyone has any perspectives,
> locally available products, or other wisdom.

About 3 years ago I looked into small LCD touch screen components to use
as part of a house control system. Prices rivalled those of a new cheap
smartphone, and kicked themselves into /dev/null compared with a
once-loved smartphone.

The cost of RPi etc including memory cards and power supply isn't
actually all that low. Consider just using a cheap android tablet, with
free battery backup etc. From the usual places (DX, aliexpress,
chinavasio.com, etc) my feeling is that the cost is similar to what you
are planning.

Be aware though that typically you can't replace the OS on mediatek-CPU
based devices because mediatek is a bunch of buggers.