[chbot] Repairing a 2.25mm shaft

Kay edgecumbe kayedgecumbe at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 25 04:06:55 GMT 2014

i have lots of stainless steel shafts from demolished printers and  can lathe it down to any size or sleeve up etc  9814888  retired so call any time
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:23:27 +1300
From: m.beckett at amuri.net
To: robin at gilks.org; chchrobotics at lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Subject: Re: [chbot] Repairing a 2.25mm shaft

You can always ezyflo the joint which will be
stronger than solder.

If you have to replace the whole shaft, you could use a knob that
'clamp' onto the shaft and use a round 6mm fixed to a 2.25 shaft
through the centre.

Mark

Robin Gilks wrote:

  Greetings all

Its time I repaired my 'scope that had a knob snapped off during the Sept
quake. Its a 2.25mm diameter brass shaft, about 120mm long with the
knurled end for the knob to push onto integrated on the end of it which is
6mm diameter. The break is flush with the change in diameter.

Silver solder may hold it, brazing certainly would but both have the risk
of melting the parts I have, hence the solution outlined below which
avoids trying to make a whole new piece which may not be viable.

Drill into the shaft, maybe 10mm deep, with a .7 or .8mm drill, same with
the remains of the knurled end, and put a short piece of piano wire in (as
a dowel or splint) and then soft solder it up.

Question is, does anyone in the group have the gear and/or skills to do this?

Cheers

Mail Archives: http://lists.ourshack.com/pipermail/chchrobotics/
Web site: http://kiwibots.org
Meetings 3rd Monday each month at Tait Radio Communications, 175 Roydvale Ave, 6.30pm

When replying, please edit your Subject line to reflect new content.