[chbot] Open street map on adroid

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 04:25:48 GMT 2014

Excellent topic.  I have been contributing to OSM for several years
now.  Unfortunately OSM is very fluid, and useful tools pop up and
disappear.  The only thing to do is try various things and keep an eye
out for the next 'better' thing.

If you just want to *look* at the data then Navit is a reasonable
choice, but take a look at OSMAND too.  I have both of these on my
Android but I haven't really looked at them in depth.  IIRC the map
data was downloaded as a pre-packaged chunk of (vector) data, and I
think that the formats differ.  You can download a fresh chunk of
(processed) data for Navit using this tool:
http://maps3.navit-project.org/

Haven't looked for tools for OSMAND, but as I say, I've just started
playing with it.

One of the things I want to use OSMAND for is to upload new data and
corrections if I notice errors when I'm out and about, although I
don't think it will replace my current way of working (GPS + camera +
PC + JOSM)

Regarding NZ in particular, a long time ago I discovered TUMONZ and I
was very impressed (so much so that I paid for the software).  It's
still around, but you have to wonder how long they can stand out when
other online and offline services are becoming available.

Best wishes,

Andrew