[chbot] OT: 1/2" Solenoid Valve

Robin Gilks robin at gilks.org
Sun Feb 2 20:42:50 GMT 2014

> Please excuse this off topic post, but here goes...
>
> My greenhouse watering system did not work as planned over my holidays
> (the
> batteries got wet!). So I'm considering replacing my watering computer
> with
> something like a simple mains timer, 12v psu and a $10 solenoid valve from
> AliExpress:
> http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cheapest-Electric-Solenoid-Valve-For-Water-Air-N-C-DC-12V-1-2-TK0377/799052468.htmlAnyone
> have any idea whether I can obtain the bits to mate it to domestic
> irrigation tube in NZ? It seems odd to me that it does not come with nuts
> and olives like a compression fitting. Alternative suggestions welcome :-)
>
> Richard

Since washing machine solenoids are designed for 50Hz AC I'd be inclined
to see what they operate from with DC - a lot less than 240V I'm sure. You
can always use a very low power inverter to charge a cap that pulls the
valve in and then a lower voltage to hold it open...

Once you have cracked this problem then you have a cheap supply of valves
forever!!

Battery powered valves are like a polarised latching relay - they use a
permanent magnet to hold open and then a reverse current to shut off.

I wouldn't recommend going the way I have for an irrigation system unless
its tax deductible and covers a few acres :)

--
Robin Gilks