[chbot] OT: 1/2" Solenoid Valve

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Sun Feb 2 19:03:54 GMT 2014

On Sun 02 Feb 2014 21:59:17 NZDT +1300, Richard Jones wrote:

> Please excuse this off topic post, but here goes...

Why OT? It's all about the fiddly diddly things...

> My greenhouse watering system did not work as planned over my holidays (the
> batteries got wet!). So I'm considering replacing my watering computer with
> something like a simple mains timer, 12v psu and a $10 solenoid valve from
> AliExpress:
> http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cheapest-Electric-Solenoid-Valve-For-Water-Air-N-C-DC-12V-1-2-TK0377/799052468.htmlAnyone
> have any idea whether I can obtain the bits to mate it to domestic
> irrigation tube in NZ?

Almost certainly yes. Threaded plumbing piping is still very common, and
in that field the threads always remained being related to the size of
Mr Inch's body part[1]. You can buy thread/pressfit adapters at the
hardware stores (insanely priced, like most things in those places).

You are aware that there are essentially two different pressfit systems
common in New Zealand, and each require their very own proprietory
pressfit crimping tool? The systems are only reliable when exactly those
tools are used, so you can NOT skip that part!

I don't know whether those adapter parts are sold on Aliexpress, and
even if they are, whether I'd want to use them. Inside no, outside,
possibly if I could cope with a huge flood and water bill for 10 days
away.

Washing machines always have solenoid valves, you might be able to lift
one from the dump. I think they're 240V though, not really any good for
you.

Andrew's suggestion sounds best - if you can get a valve locally that
fits your fittings and runs on the voltage most common locally, it's
probably worth 3 times the aliexpress price.

Volker

[1] See Whitworth pipe thread on wikipedia.