[chbot] LiPo batteries

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Fri May 17 00:56:09 BST 2013

How timely.

I am pretty sure that Li Ion and Li Po have similar issues:

Been given a small pile of Li Ion batteries, and
bought some http://www.ebay.com/itm/260841670123

Briefly, if you over charge them they do occasionally explode

If you over discharge them then they can lose capacity in a real hurry

There is a difference between 4.1V and 4.2V
cells, beware - this is absolute max terminal voltage.

The boards above have 5V in, 5V out and cell
protection, so the cell is taken out of circuit
of over-charge or over-discharge imminent. I do
plan to run one of these up carefully and see how they behave.

Li Ion can deliver large currents, so an in-line fuse is mandatory.

 From Wikipedia
         Li Ion specific energy 100–265 Wh/kg
         Ni Mh specific energy 60–120 Wh/kg
         Ni Cd specific energy 40–60 Wh/kg

The good news is there is a lot in a lightweight package

The bad news is that there is a lot in a lightweight package

If treated with respect, they behave well -- these are not for the unwary.

In terms of burning your house down, you probably
already have lots of these units in your phone, laptop etc. already.

If you have concerns about safety, stick with
NiMh the older types have self discharge
problems, but I don't think they will blow up (a
function of internal resistance and available energy).

Mr Harris is one of (or The) resident expert, and
I await comments from him on this brain-dump.

-Mark