[chbot] new smart phone

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Aug 19 02:43:43 BST 2013

Hi All,

So last week I posted a request for recommendations associated with
getting a smart phone. Lots of replies, thanks to everyone who
replied, and I think Volker asked for an update on progress, so here it is...

Main items on shopping list were
- Support for a free SIP client
- WiFi friendly for appropriate services
- WAN access was secondary
- 3G / WiFi gateway a plus
- unlocked to vendor or service providers

Per Ian's recommendation I went ahead and bought from
www.chinavasion.com and chose the "ThL W100" based on the reviews and
ended up with Quad Core, 4.5 Inch, Android 4.2, 1.2GHz, 4GB ROM, 8MP
R Camera + 5MP F Camera and spare battery. Sounds very similar to
Ian's. Final price was NZ$189 + NZ$19 shipping - ordered Tuesday,
arrived Friday of same week.

Having played with it for a few hours, all I can say is that I am
quite blown away. Had it on the WiFi within 5 mins playing video off
of Youtube. Also camera photos, camera video and sound are all great.

Loaded a SIP client, GPS toolbox and SSH server without issue within
a few minutes.

It really was just bought as a SIP client, but I do have the feeling
that I now need to get another to keep my wife from complaining about
my new toy. Mind you, as long as she keeps the SSH server running, I
should be able to load and debug apps remotely :)

-Mark