[chbot] Which robot kit?

Chris Hamling the.hamlings at xtra.co.nz
Thu Feb 16 20:22:04 GMT 2012

Andrew,

I guess the decision needs to be based upon how you want to go about
inspiring the kids.

We believe in the field of dreams principal, "build it and they will come".

We have schools and now Universities using the VEX kit in the classroom but
the big thing is that the students want to do it after school as well!

The VEX competition in New Zealand is part of the biggest and fastest
growing robotics competition in the world. Sure the robots are not small
enough to fit in your hand but they offer the ability to do solid mechanical
construction that can do real work. At the last world championships they
were lifting 10lb objects without effort. That is not to say they are big,
they have to start a game so they fit inside an 18" cube. The competitions
are designed so that all capabilities are catered for from the absolute
beginner who cannot program up to the expert who wants to add Xbox360
connect controllers to it.

Teams can either program in EasyC (flowchart based) or RobotC (code based)
or do both in EasyC Pro.

There is a huge international support base so requests for help are usually
received within 24 hours by people that really know what they are doing.

There are several curriculum already written eg
http://www.education.rec.ri.cmu.edu/products/teaching_robotc_cortex/index.ht
ml that take students from start to finish.

Many YouTube videos can be found that explain the many elements that include
potentiometers, shaft encoders, ultrasonic sensore, gyroscopes,
accelerometers etc etc and no soldering iron is required.

Mechanically they are strong and we have teams that have been competing
every montgh for four years and their kit is still as robust as the day they
bought it.

Sorry for the long reply but I really believe in the system and, being a
charitable trust, we have no financial interest in the product we are just
here to "inspire a passion for science and technology"

Chris Hamling