[chbot] Pilots Assn. wants 1mw+ lasers banned

Mark Beckett m.beckett at amuri.net
Fri Feb 10 02:58:46 GMT 2012

The problems are related to bright lights in and around the landing
phase, where the pilots are required to identify the runway visually,
and then line themselves up using the lighting systems associated with
the runways.
Some of these devices at that distance are no longer a dot, but a bright
wide beam, that is much brighter than the surrounding.
Given the window may also be non clear, or its at an angle, then the
light can become a nuisance.

I think the problem has appearred due to the availability and cheapness
of the lasers, rather than anything else.

I agree that most of these clowns that decide to point it up in the sky
wouldn't have a clue about pulling something apart to source the components.
Take the case of the clowns that aimed at the police helicopter that was
looking for them.....duuh.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most of the lasers inside
Writers etc were non visible type.??

Mark