[chbot] Pilots Assn. wants 1mw+ lasers banned

Jasper Mackenzie jasper.mackenzie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 22:31:10 GMT 2012

> On Wednesday 08 February 2012 20:08:51 kerry at manukadesign.co.nz wrote:
>> fyi.
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6379757/Pilot-group-calls-for-laser-ban
>
> Banned does not mean the same as made completely illegal. It just means
> that
> that supply is controlled and you would need some sort of vetting and
> permit
> to buy/own/sell lasers.
>
> Not much different from guns really.
>
> The glaring problem with any legislation is that, unlike guns,  many
> consumer
> products contain lasers and it is impractical to control the supply of
> DVD
> players etc.
>
> I say bring it on. Most of the delinquents who shine lasers at planes
> likely
> lack the motivation to strip a laser out of a DVD player.
  It still feels like a classic 'Safety through Legislation' move.
Having done the dvd-> scary bright laser thing, and been flashed, I feel
i) Legislation didnt protect my eyes
ii) Given that the wavelengths of available lasers are discrete and known,
selective filtering glasses would be the way to go ... as...
iii) Shock horror, someone may BREAK THE LAW... (So you need REAL
protection anyway... suprise)

Wow! that was easy, perhaps the Pilots assn. should do a simple (really
simple) google search, and look! Not a pie in the sky, but a whole
industry:
http://www.lasershields.com/?gclid=CPue79H4ka4CFYMmpAodwzPVHg
  And so Stylish http://www.lasershields.com/styles/31.html

Spare blueray anyone? Cmon!