[chbot] Chocolate fish challenge 4... Connect4

Synco Reynders synco.reynders at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 00:07:51 BST 2011

Hi All,
   The previous Queens challenge went down a treat, and it reminded me of
the old kids game 'Connect4'.
Now I'd like to propose a new challenge of making a Connect4 playing
robot...

There will be many prizes and categories will be created on a whim.
There will be prizes for at least the following categories:

* Best mechanical / embedded solution
* Smartest playing
* Best playing without using recursion
* Non-programming solutions??
* Best Connect4 server

Background:
Connect4 is played on 7(across) by 6(high) rack where tokens are inserted at
the top and they fall down into the rack. The players take turns, trying to
make 4 of their token line-up horizontally, vertically or diagonally.

Server:
Thinking it would be fun to compete with each other by making the program as
a client/server application. Thoughts so far go as follows:
* Someone writes a open/common TCP network wrapper.
Pier-to-pier
* We have a list of IP addresses
* Open an TCP connection starts a new game.
* Computer opening the connection gets the choice of whether they want to
start.
* An ascii string is passed indicating the game.
* First character in string indicates the command:
   s = Connecting computer wants other to start
   1 =
   * = This is my move and I've won

* A move string (ascii) of numbers 1-7 is passed indicating the columns the
tokens have been so far.
For those who rather write software and let someone else