[chbot] Extending the mini robot wars challenge

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Sat Nov 26 21:58:25 GMT 2011

On 26/11/11 23:56, Mark Beckett wrote:
> Have a look at what I've started cobbling together and give some
> feedback (either for or against).
> www.mbeckett.co.nz/RobotWars.htm

I think a key point to any class designed to get participation up is
keeping the weight down so you can get OK performance from
cheap/available motors.  300g seems like a good middle ground there.
Flip-side would be having the class in common with other clubs I
suppose, so we could compete with them in other competitions?

Otherwise all the rules you've posted there seem sensible...

When I was running Ohmark pre-2004 I was a sponsor of a team on the
discovery channel Robotwars series in the sub-150lb class.  Even there
one of the big things discussed was to allow use of 500w servo motors as
prime movers, as the unlimited class had become too expensive for
un-sponsored teams to get a basic chassis up and running.  None of the
rules are applicable though, as that was no-holds barred destruction
style robot wars, not sumo.

Cheers, Me.