[chbot] MSP430 dev board

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Sat Jun 18 08:25:54 BST 2011

On Sat 18 Jun 2011 16:55:59 NZST +1200, Simon Chester wrote:

> Not sure how good it is, but there's a port of the GCC toolchain to
> MSP430<http://mspgcc4.sourceforge.net/>

Yes I know. But there's pretty much nothing there other than some
software that at least used to compile a little while back. The site is
basically dead, the software might not compile now. The documentation
links back to mspgcc.sourceforge.net - which is so old, I'd have to be
desperate to bother. Basically, it's unmaintained software, and it was
probably never complete in the first place. In other words, it doesn't
cut the mustard. Certainly not when compared to other processors
supported by the gcc toolchain.

I don't mind/care if someone gets use out of this board, but I can smell
a big vendor lock-in trap here.

Yes I did see later that there is some kind of interface (for
debugging?) on the board. How useful it is all depends on what software
is required to use it, and what software is available to do that with.

I came to the conclusion that for low-number private projects the type
of CPU is basically irrelevant. What counts is the available software.
I/O can always be handled by a few good SPI/I²C chips. $20 more or less
is totally utterly irrelevant.

http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.