[chbot] Sexy Christchurch Technologies looking for worldwide exposure?

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Mon Apr 5 22:01:46 BST 2010

On Tuesday 06 April 2010 08:24:55 Hanno Sander wrote:
> Hi!
> In 3 weeks I'll head north for 3 months to give a series of talks at
> technology clubs, schools, and companies like Google and Microsoft.
> (The Google Tech Talk I gave last year has been viewed by 4952 people:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmpPm2Di0Bo )
> I'll travel through the US, Germany, France, Spain and Japan and talk
> about the things I've build in the last couple years (ViewPort,
> 12Blocks, OneRobot, DanceBot, PropScope, and the Propeller Book) and
> how people are using them.  I'd like to start my talks by sharing some
> of the cool things people are doing right here in Christchurch.
> So, my question: "What sexy technologies are being invented in
> Christchurch right now?"  Ideally I'd like to show a photo/short video
> of each and say a word or two about them.  If you know of someone
> doing something cool please share, and better yet, help me get in
> contact with them.
> Here some ideas:
> - MartinAir Jetpack: http://www.martinjetpack.com
> - YikeBike: http://www.yikebike.com
> - GPS Boomerang: http://www.gpsboomerang.com
> Hanno
> http://hannoware.com

Hi Hanno

Christchurch is home to some of the most successful industrial (as opposed to
toy/hobby) robotic programs. Trimble's Christchurch offices produced robotic
steering for tractors, earthmoving machinery etc.
http://www.trimble.com/agriculture/guidance.aspx
http://www.trimble.com/construction/heavyandhighway.aspx

Blowing my own trumpet a bit. File systems might not be very sexy, but they're
important (try use a sophisticated product without one). I wrote and continue
to develop yaffs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAFFS) which is the file
system used in a wide range of products including sewing machines,
communication gear, medical devices, point of sale terminals, entertainment
and even space probes. The major user is cell phones such as Android based
phones.

Of course you need to include Britten
http://www.splashmedia.co.nz/users/britten/

-- Charles