[chbot] Great use of acceleration sensors for glove

Michael Pearce mike at kiwacan.co.nz
Fri Jul 3 03:36:36 BST 2009

Used the Freescale MMA7455 - I2C interface, and what the client
specified as they had been using a demo board with it on.... very easy
to talk to... just write a couple of registers to configure it....
then just read read and read all using I2C.

ST has a good range for less cost as well.

Take note: They are VERY VERY VERY VERY fussy about board layout and
soldering.... can be done with paste and rework station (hot air) or
reflow oven, but do not attempt to use a soldering iron... can kill
them or cause bad offsets and give inaccurate readings. Most likely
why most people just purchase them.

See a selection at link below.

http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/Search.aspx?dsNav=Ntk:PlainTextSearch|accelerometer|3|,Ny:True,Nea:True,N:634

Also see http://www.sparkfun.com  as they have some/or about to add to
their collection of development boards/kits.

Mike

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Morris<skibear at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mike
>
> If you have the time perhaps you could quickly say which component version
> you selected and why?
>
> That is a lot cheaper than I ahve seen the mounted ones available from hobby
> robotics suppliers (I am willing to hand solder SM components at that
> price!). I am definitely interested in them for a couple of ideas :)
>
> Cheers
>
> Morris
>
> On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 20:13 -0600, Michael Pearce wrote:
>
> Been playing with an XYZ accelerometer for a client... ~US$5 each with
> I2C or Analog outputs
> Will be fitting to some industrial robots for fine tuning..... all
> wireless interface.
>
> Also met a guy who designed one of the expensive Gloves a number of years
> ago.
>

> Mike
>

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Morris<skibear at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/22838/

>> When replying, please edit your Subject line to reflect new content.

Kiwacan
http://www.kiwacan.co.nz
http://www.kiwacandirect.com
NZL:  +64-3-669-0077