[chbot] UAV I'm in

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Wed Aug 26 00:17:28 BST 2009

I too was thinking about the "middle path" using an ARM level micro. That's
definitely going to get you out of any problems wrt grunt for a control loop.

Since ArduPilot doesn't need much CPU I think an AVR is enough.

Unless you're making multi-layer boards I doubt there's a real benefit in
12bit ADCs over 10 or even 8.

In some ways I'm cheating in my design because I'm using a high dihedral
glider wing that is inherently stable and does not have ailerons and does not
need roll control. That should severely reduce the need for complex control
too. The only potentially instability should be pitch (ie. putting the plane
into an uncontrolled dive or stall) and I'm hoping that a 3D accelerometer
will be enough to figure that all out.

As my first go, I'll be only using accelerometers, no gyro, which should mean
that  uncle Kalman can stay at home. In theory you can use two or three
accelerometers placed at different parts of the plane instead of having a
gyro but I'm hoping I don't have to go that far.

What will be good is to see what different approaches yield.

-- CHarles