[chbot] Stampalike progress, microchip direct, and a toaster oven.

Chris Hellyar chris at trash.co.nz
Wed Apr 23 14:38:22 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 21:38 +1200, Richard Jones wrote:
> Thanks for the post Chris, sounds like you are having fun.
> I would be very interested in a demo of the toaster oven sometime, maybe
> you do do a demo at the robotics group? Perhaps one day we'll be

Ya, when I get it working I can certainly bring it along, time
permitting.  On the up side I could probably cook everyone some supper
as well! :-).

> soldering BGA chips at home? Our paths seem to be crossing, I much
> prefer smd for home assembly, saves all that drilling and cutting.

Yeah, but for prototyping it's no so good, particularly with analog
work.

> similar to Arduino would make a nice robotic platform. For about $6NZ ea
> chip and programmable in 'C' thats not bad. With 8K flash and 1K RAM
> they should be sufficient for maze solving, table top challenge and

I'm a pic fan, but the end result is the same, there are some very
powerful chips out there for not much money these days.

If you get some AVR based boards done and I get my PIC18F ones done we
could start a really pointless Holden vs Ford type battle but using
table top robots as the weapons of choice.  :-).

Cheers, Me.
(Just realising how late it is... DOH.  Off to bed)