[chbot] Vision processing side project.

Carl Ranson chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Wed, 23 May 2007 17:55:01 +1200

Andrew Errington wrote:

>Hmm.  Robert Moran "The Dracula Diary".  Interesting.
>
>So, is the indicator line in the top right derived from the Hough
>Transform?  Does your demo run in real time (i.e. can you rotate the
>barcode and have the yellow line rotate accordingly)?

Yes, the yellow lines are given directly by the brightest spots on the
hough space. Each point on the hough space represents a line with a
given angle and distance from the center of the image. Left to right in
the hough space is angle 0-360 degrees.  Notice how the four brightest
points are about 90degrees apart. That's indictive of the bouding box.

Its not exactly real time yet, taking about 2 seconds to do the
calculations. I'll be doing some work to get it faster real soon with a
goal to getting it down to 250ms or less. The easy thing to do first is
to do a better job of my edge detection so there are fewer spots.

>The next meeting will be 20 June, and I'd like to see this if it's not too
>much trouble to set up.  Thanks, Carl.

My goal is to apply the same sorts of techniques to my bot vision code
to recognise markers and navigate from them. Can't be sure i'll have
that working by next meeting, but this will be going at least.

>Oh, and I'd recommend including the full URL in your messages, just in case
>one day tinyURL disappears, and to satisfy future archive searches.  I
>think it's fine to use tinyurl (especially since tinyurls generally don't
>get split by line breaks), but I think we should have full URL or full +
>tiny URL, but not tinyurl on its own.

Fair enough. For the record the full URL is
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/Section8NZ/barcodes.png