[chbot] Suggestions for mild steel rod supplier in Chch?

Richard Jones chchrobotics@lists.linuxnut.co.nz
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:13:51 +1200

I want to build a complete micromouse maze, which according to my simulator
has about 280 or so walls, but I'm having trouble getting hold of mild
steel rod or wire to make the pins. I've enrolled at woodwork classes and
can make the walls and base out of mdf for about $100NZ :-)
I made a small sample maze shown in this picture:
http://groups.msn.com/chchrobotics/micromouse.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=4
I bought the
bithttps://webmail.ihug.co.nz/webmail/?_task=mail&_action=compose&_reply_uid=558&_mbox=INBOX#s
in the UK 10 years back. The steel pins are 25mm long and 3.93mm dia
according to my very near calipers.
My guess is that this is an imperial size 5/32 inch.

So far I've tried Mico Metals, they only supply Aluminium or stainless.
The Steel and Tube catalog seems to start at 6mm.
Ideally I'll buy the same size as my existing walls, but I might be able
adapt the old walls and bases to a new size.
If I get really desperate I'll try Bunnings for 4mm nails.
In total I'll need about 16 metres of rod to make 600 pins of 25mm.
Once I've obtained the rod I've located a metal guilotine (next door to the
woodwork class) that should make quick work of the slicing to 25mm once
I've put a guide fence on it to get the dimension roughly repeatable.
One suggestion that I've looked at is no8 wire. I can get this free from a
friend, but its a little corroded and measures about 4.4mm.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Richard Jones