[101admin] Kites101

Andrew Beattie 101admin@ourshack.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:15:16 +0000

Andrew Ghezzi wrote:
> Caught the link on kites101.com.  Looks great.  I like
> the idea of laying it out "progessively" so the new
> user can be brought into the sport gradually.

It's as much a checklist of things to cover as anything else :-)

> I also agree 100% (as a web retailer no-less) that the
> best source of information is the local kite store.

A Point of view that you me be surprised to learn that you
share with many of the *better* web retailers...

> At for links in the industry, I've always depended on
> my KTAI directory for that kind of stuff.

Oh.  That's a good idea.  I've worked it in.

> Would you
> like me to contact Maggie and see if I can get an
> electronic version of the directory (which I think
> already exists) and then gleen out all the retailers
> in there?  The good news about this source is that its
> an "international" directory so many locations to
> point to that are outside of the US.

Their web page allows you to search by member type (such as
"Retailer") and by country, so I figure it's pretty useful.

I hesitate to build out *own* database of all the retailers
in the world unless:

 - We can do it better than anyone else
 - We have the determination to keep it up to date.

If we use the resources that are out there and glue them
together into a coherent "Start Here..." package, then:
 - We get maximum benefit from other people's work
 - They are more likely to support our work

> Also, I didn't notice an answer from before but how is
> the site going to support certain kites?  Are we going
> to put a group of kites through some sort of test
> (durability, stability, flight) and then decide which
> ones are suitable for the beginner kiter?

How about something like this (abbreviated to get the
idea across)

Kites Suitable for beginners fall into several catogories:
 - 2-line deltas
     Things to look for:
       Price
       Weight
       Resistance to abuse
     What to avoid
       Anything expensive, 'cos you will destroy it
     Expect to pay
     Popular choices include
       Beetle and relatives
         info about the Beetle
       Ellen's stuff
         where to get info about Ellen's stuff
       Kites made localy (ask your retailer...)
 - 2-line Soft kites
     [...]
     Popular choices
       Flexifoil
       Winddance
 - 4-line
     [...]
 - Single line
     [...]

It's kinda formal and structured, but I'm just trying to think of
the very same things that you would say face to face with a new
flier in the field.

--
Andrew Beattie

The LAZIEST way to find kite pages ---------> http://www.kitez.com/
********** Win a T-shirt at http://www.kitez.com/tshirt.html **********
My own stuff (Shona, Chevron, Veronica) ----> http://www.tug.com/
Resources for rec.kites --------------------> http://www.kites.tug.com/
Friendly, flexible host for your net stuff -> http://www.ourshack.com/

kite, n: A piece of negotiable paper representing a fictitious
financial transaction and used temporarily to sustain credit or
raise money.