[Templates] Template Tookit Vs HTML::Template

Curtis Poe cp@onsitetech.com
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:02:36 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rafiq Ismail (ADMIN)" <rafiq@joshua.dreamthought.com>
> I have to provide sound arguments as to why our prospective new system
> shouldn't move away from TT2 and use HTML::Template instead.

Not to douse your evangelical fire :), but I suggest stepping back a bit.
HTML::Template is great.  Pro/Con arguments, however, can quickly get bogged
down in minutia and miss the point:  what are your requirements?  The choice
should never be 'what do I prefer?'  The choice is more accurately 'what is
the better tool for the job?'

At my work, we evaluated Mason, HTML::Template and Template Toolkit.  TT
won, even though HTML::Template was a strong contender.  What eventually
swayed us was the need to have a general purpose templating tool.  TT fit
that much better than HTML::Template.  However, if all you need is a simple,
lightweight tool for handing HTML templates, than TT may simply not be the
most cost-productive way to go.

I've worked through many nightmare scenarios where management said "this is
the solution, now find out how to fit it to the problem".  That's putting
the cart before the horse.  I'd recommend creating a grid.  Across the top,
list the general requirements (and 'nice to haves') for which a templating
system is applicable.  Down the side, list the templating options.  Then,
check off everything for which a given system meets a general requirement
(with footnotes, where applicable).  When that is done, you often find that
a clear choice stands out.  If TT wins, it provides you with a strong
argument that's tough to overcome.

--
Cheers,
Curtis "Ovid" Poe

Taking e-Business and Internet Technology To The Extreme!