[chbot] noob mosfet/transistor question

Andrew Dachs dachsa492 at gmail.com
Mon May 24 01:10:29 BST 2021

Chiming in mostly because I’m another Andrew.

Don’t really have a favourite but what you describe is very common. If you can use a switch in the ground line (low side switching), a single mosfet and a diode for protection would be nice and simple. Assuming you are looking to turn this on/off at some slow rate, just look for a FET with low Vgs (some are called logic level mosfets) and enough current capacity with plenty of margin (the max current quoted in the specs assume heatsinking).

A disadvantage of low side switching is you leave the high side voltage active all the time and there might be a risk of shorting.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone