[chbot] Recommendations for fibre in CHCH

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Mar 4 08:45:45 GMT 2021

Hi All,

Probably time to drop copper :) We are very close to out local kerb-side
box, and even ADSL2+ has served us very well so far.

Any reconsiderations for a low-cost, high performance Internet-fibre
supplier ?

Expect descent customer support, unlimited high rate (I have seen 800Mb+
offered), probably bundled with existing landline). 30Mb fibre is no
better than we currently have, and isn't worth the trouble.

Spark have been pestering me to move to wireless, that got me very
excited (in a bad way).

Two issues:

- We need a specific fibre run. I have heard horror stories where
contractors come out to do a survey, then the installer does the job the
way he feels fit, rather than the way the survey-guy agreed to.

- Maintain dial-tone in event of power loss. Assume a small UPS is
available; but it does obviously required the kerb-side box remains
powered (assuming it does an active remux from the Central Office).

Good experiences, and bad experiences please.

Thanks,

Mark