[chbot] INTERCAL, the stuff of nightmares

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Oct 28 07:42:30 GMT 2020

One splendidly named 'Boris the Spider' pointed this language out to me.
I wonder who else has heard of it ?

http://www.catb.org/~esr/intercal/ for a little background

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INTERCAL for continued satire.

As a brief example of language syntax "MINGLE alternates bits from its
first and second operands (in such a way that the least significant bit
of its second operand is the least significant bit of the result). There
is no operator precedence; grouping marks must be used to disambiguate
the precedence where it would otherwise be ambiguous (the grouping marks
available are ' ("spark"), which matches another spark, and " ("rabbit
ears"), which matches another rabbit ears".

-Mark

PS Unrelated, and possibly irrelevantly, I spent some time learning a
wonderful Parser Language called 'Antlr'.  Terence Parr, its creator
spent many years travelling the world rhapsodizing about his creation,
and introducing his work with a forward arm movement followed by some
"Rabbit Ears". It took some time for some brave soul to point out to TP
that his gesture was obscene in their current part of the world.