[chbot] Modelling virus spread...

Trevor Wignall zl3adz at gmail.com
Sun May 10 01:55:58 BST 2020

An interesting result, but it makes several assumptions that impact the
conclusion significantly. One is that once people have recovered from the
virus, they are immune. This has not been shown. If immunity is lost after
a period and the virus is still circulating, it keeps going and keeps
killing people.The rate of new infections will then determine the rate it
kills people.
Another assumption is that medical research doesn't find anything useful.
If a vaccine is developed within the period above, the number of new cases
will fall and with it the number of deaths from the virus. A treatment may
also be found, reducing the number of deaths per case. A number of
promising treatments have already been identified and even a delay of a few
months may make a big difference in the number of casualties - and on the
impact on the survivors. Treatments can also reduce the infectiousness of a
patient and therefore can help reduce the number of new cases, and some of
these treatments can also be given to prevent people from being infected -
useful for medical staff and first responders for example.
And of course not overloading the medical system has its own big impact on
the number of casualties.
Food for thought...
Trevor