[chbot] Chchrobotics Digest, Vol 150, Issue 32

Bevin Brett bevin_brett at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 30 03:38:46 BST 2020

As a USA paramedic, (NZ intensive care paramedic equivalent) I can answer some of this

  1.  “John While that sounds interesting, I am somewhat confused as to how to how electrolysis hydrogen and oxygen fit in with mechanical ventilation.”

Most ventilated patients require air with more than 22% O2 because the inner surfaces of the lung are damaged.

The O2 must be mixed in the right proportions with the air being pushed in by the ventilator

       2) Spencer and Volker are right, look at

https://www.medgadget.com/2020/03/mit-emergency-ventilator-submitted-for-fda-review.html

for an existing design, and at

https://www.agorize.com/en/challenges/code-life-challenge/pages/guidelines?lang=en

for the requirements.    This second (the Agorize challenge) is the Montreal/McGill effort and they will have their open source proposal in a week or two

I really like the MIT one – I had the same idea myself during a sleepless night -  and there is also one team in the Montreal challenge that proposed it also (why I didn’t take my night thoughts further)

So – my advice – adapt the MIT design for what is available off the shelf here