[chbot] Recommendations for CNC'd parts

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 05:00:02 GMT 2020

Regarding tolerances, take care to specify in a way that allows the various parts to fit as they
should in assembly. Depending on whether press or loose fit is needed this will differ. Also,
depending on the purpose of the whole thing once assembled, some tolerance specs may have to be
asymmetrical. There are international standards for specifying tolerances for dimensions that
connect to standardised parts, e.g., bolts, or ball bearings, etc.
Needless to say that manufacturing to tighter tolerances is more work and thus costs more - so
you don't want to specify too tightly without a good reason.
You may already have know all of that, but as you raised the point I thought it worthwhile
mentioning.

Kind regards,

Helmut.

On 20/03/2020 22:15, Dev Lutchman wrote:
[...]
>   * Tolerance - would need advice on best that isn't a pain in the proverbial - would think that
>     +/- 0.1mm wouldn't be an issue?
[...]