[chbot] Oxygen / Argon sensor

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jun 8 01:34:01 BST 2020

David, hello, hope you are well !

The electron-source in question needs to be kept dry, but  I do like
your idea.

Current thought is to gently fill a thin, vertical plastic
containerawith Ar, drop in the electron-gun, and tighten up the lid. If
I can somehow meter the gas, and overfill by 100% things should be OK.
The thermionic source should be at the bottom of the container.

In terms of acceptable levels of oxygen, no idea. Electron-guns 'are
poisoned quickly' in the presences of oxygen, but that should be taken
within the context of a normal, service life of maybe 10 years.

I am hoping that storage in Ar will extend the life on an EG from a few
hours in air, to a few months. Just have to move swiftly when
transferring it into the bell-jar before evaluating the whole mess.

David's suggestion gives me a simple method to calibrate the metering
process.

Thank you everyone for suggestions.

-Mark