[chbot] Updating a program: which Way did I use to install it?

Stephen Irons stephen at irons.nz
Tue Aug 25 02:33:44 BST 2020

Clearly I have become an Average Joe User, installing stuff left, right
and centre.

How did I get here?

I used to be quite disciplined, and only installed stuff from the
official repos.

Then I needed a newer version with a new feature or bug-fix, and I had
to use a PPA. And the feeling of trust and confidence went down a bit.

But sometimes the PPA version did not have the right option, so I had
to install from source or version control. I imagine that I trusted
those places too.

Well, two ways (distribution way and source) is managable.

Other people thought that universal installs were the bees-knees, but,
of course, NIH-syndrome meant that we needed umpteen versions of the
same thing. Suddenly, there are 3, 4, 5, who knows how many ways to
install stuff, and my brain explodes.

(Also, in my list, I forgot about perl -- they too have a way to
distribute stuff).

(Forgot about Wine too: some programs are Windows only, but run
passably under Wine).

And look where I am now, and I didn't realise how far I had sunk.

In my defence

I do at least think about what I am installing and assess what the
risks are.

I feel fairly confident with programs that install as a normal user
(AppImage, Python pip, some source packages, downloaded tar files,
Windows under Wine). Of course, there is no knowing what they will end
up doing, but I think they will only affect My Stuff, not The Whole
Caboodle.

Sometimes, though, it is cheapest in the short term to take the path of
least resistance, download and trust to luck. So far, I think I have
been lucky. Then again, how would I tell?

Perhaps it IS time to do a re-install.

Perhaps it is time to use a separate laptop for work, where we go down
some unpalatable paths suggested by commercial reality or economic
pressures.

Stephen Irons