[chbot] Willowbank fibre network.

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Tue Nov 19 03:22:53 GMT 2019

While I can see that fibre is probably the best engineering solution, it
is also likely the most problematic/costly unless you can find the right
person/source.

Mind you, that wouldn't stop me from pulling over and talking to every
Enable truck, to see if you could sweet-talk them into helping out on a
voluntary basis.

Saying that out loud, you might even approach Enable by phone and see if
they would be willing to do the job in exchange for some good-will
(marketing lit from Willowbank).

----

As a B plan, I would run CAT6 with overall screen below the electric
fence, and drive a metal-ground-stake at one end of the run, and ground
the foil. At the office end, get a decent (Cisco) POE power injector,
and at the road-end a POE powered decent switch (also Cisco) to drive
the 77m run.

So at this point, you are using high quality cable with controlled
impedance, and controlled twist (common mode rejection ration [CMRR])
and high quality terminations (Cisco) with decent return-loss. You only
need to run the connection at 100MBs - the CAT6 is specified for CMRR,
not for speed. You have a powered buffer at the far end, care of POE,
and electrostatic shielding care of a decent foil, and ground stake.

Not sure how the fibre terminal is powered at the roadside end, but I
guess 48V is available from the Cisco.

Anyway, just another viewpoint, and there is no downside to talking the
problem through with Enable before you go any further.

Just my 2c

-Mark