[chbot] Experience with 1stdomains.nz

Volker Kuhlmann list57 at top.geek.nz
Thu Mar 14 21:26:25 GMT 2019

On Wed 13 Mar 2019 21:07:53 NZDT +1300, chris at trash.co.nz wrote:

> How would you loose service for 48 hours?
>
> You set the A/MX records and domain + SOA TTL's to be short and wait
> 2x the original TTL then when both services are responding to your
> domain change the records.

You can't set up the mailboxes at 1stdomains without moving the domain
there first, so they're exercising lockme-out-from-new-customers haha...

Also, mailbox providers are liable to delete mailboxes as soon as the
domain no longer points to their mailbox, especially when the domain is
hosted with them. I've seen that happen with Registerdirect. So you
can neither move the domain first, nor move the mailbox first. I.e. it's
unknown whether you can safely move away from 1stdomains again.

I'm simply not interested in supporting that kind of company. Zero
tolerance for vendor lock-in!