[chbot] Scrounging for big switch mode PSUs - clarifications

Peter Harris petes.username at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 02:40:20 GMT 2019

To clarify
I am looking for mains powered DC supplies. The outputs must be floating to
allow series connection.

Re series connection and power.
P = V x I so power rises in proportion to V
A single supply delivering 20A at 50V yields 1000W
2 of these in series will deliver 20A at 100V or 2000W
The 3 x 1000W 48V supplies in series will deliver 20.83A at 144V == 3kW

Series connection of PSUs is fine provided their output isolation is
sufficient to withstand the combined series voltage. Parallel connection is
much more difficult but is not required here.

"Caged" refers to the metalwork enclosing the electronics. Here are the
unit's I'm considering
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Transformer-Switch-Mode-Power-Supply-DC-48V-3A-5A-7-5A-10A-15A-20A-150W-240W/32908080499.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.265.1e3f3c002rOuom

Thanks to all who have responded so far.
I have been to Molten Media unfortunately they had nothing suitable.
I had not considered a welder, I will do some research.

I feel a talk at the next meeting coming on :)