[chbot] On the scrounge for an esp8266 board

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jan 9 08:39:51 GMT 2019

Andy,

I managed to cobble a WiFi thermometer together using the Arduino IDE in
a couple of hours. Hardware was a D1 inside a plug pack with external
thermometer (DS18B20) and antenna. Unit has run for it's life (6 mo)
without needing to be rebooted. Most surprised and happy. First attempt
to use Arduino IDE based on personal-pride (!) but overall surprised how
robust everything is.

Had a go at some LUA on a NodeMCU (different project) but it crashed and
burned after a couple of months. Looks like I need to
re-flash-the-everything to get it back and working. Not a priority
project, but may go the Arduino ID route again if needs must.

Had similar experiences to you trying to use a 'real' toolchain
(actually it was a relief to see your posting, I though I was going
daft). Also agree with your sentiments - go with the Expressif
tool-chain and relevant example projects, the factory has a vested
interest to keep the customers happy.

Also love the D1 module; tiny and u.FL external antenna connector.

Presumably you have poked around at
https://www.esp8266.com/viewforum.php?f=9 ?

Please keep us updated on progress on your project. Low power sleep is
probably going to be the tricky part (as usual); not sure how well this
is supported by the Arduino libraries etc.

-Mark