[chbot] On the scrounge for an esp8266 board

Andy Gardner ceo at andygardner.com
Wed Jan 9 00:18:39 GMT 2019

Thanks Rob. I'm currently in re-think mode, beating my head against a toolchain brick wall.

Originally, I got Dave's NodeMCU board running nicely with https://github.com/pfalcon/esp-open-sdk successfully getting blinky.c to work. Woot!

Then, while starting to playing with espressif's own example codes, found out that their makefiles aren't compatible with esp-open-sdk. Sigh.

Then noticed that some of their example code looked completely different.

Then realised that esp-open-sdk hasn't kept up to date with espressif's sdk version. - esp-open-sdk still stuck on ESP8266_NONOS_SDK-2.1.0 while 2.2.0 and 3.0.0 have been released since.

Tried a number of ways to get the toolchain working properly with 3.0.0 (since their example code has all (maybe?) been updated to that) without success. https://github.com/pfalcon/esp-open-sdk/issues/85 sort of explains it but I could not fix it.

Wasted hours battling error messages.

Right now, I'm thinking I should just move over to what espressif is going to support in the future (ESP32 IDF), develop the thing I want using an ESP32 board, then once they add ESP8266 support to that IDF (as promised), go back to the ESP8266 board.