[chbot] ARM toolchain comparisons for STM32 F0, F1, and F4

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 23:42:46 BST 2018

I have used gcc for years for ARM and it works great. Kiel might be
slightly better.

ARM is a major sponsor of  the gcc development effort (Linaro) . That might
seem strange, but it makes sense to them and they are

I've done a few STM32 projects. I use gcc on Linux. I did use the ST Cube
thing to rough out the CDC class code, but then moved to Makefiles etc for
the rest of the development.

The ST HAL stuff is poxy bloatware and I only used that for things like USB
drivers.

Most recently, I'm working on a system using an STM32F042 (6k RAM, 32k
flash, M0 with no crystal, USB full speed). It works fine. Still heaps of
space. That would not be possible using the standard ST HAL stuff.

Under Ubuntu 16.,04  you can get all you need by getting the binutils and
gcc packages for ARM.

That is unfortunately broken (some screwed up libraries) under 18.04 and
you'd do better with the gcc-arm-embedded PPA
https://launchpad.net/~team-gcc-arm-embedded/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

For debugging I use gdb with openocd (sometimes with ddd).

I have used many different debugger devices, but I currently use an STLINK
V2 most of the time.  $2. Can't go wrong.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS-ST-LINK-Stlink-ST-Link-V2-Mini-STM8-STM32-Simulator-Download-Programmer-Programming-With-Cover/32792513237.html

I have used that with M0, M1, M3, M4.

May I also suggest getting a few of these boards for laughs too:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/STM32F103C8T6-ARM-STM32-Minimum-System-Development-Board-Module-Forarduino/32342717171.html

Let me know if you need a blinky project to kick off.