[chbot] Inexpensive ESP32+camera module.

Mike Field hamster at snap.net.nz
Sat Nov 17 05:05:18 GMT 2018

Sadly I can't make Monday's meeting, but if I could I would show off an
inexpensive  (US$7) ESP32 + 2MP camera module that arrived during the week.

With a little bit of hackery based on
https://github.com/igrr/esp32-cam-demo I had a sub-matchbox size camera
blutack-ed to the front window, (at an bit of an angle angle) and had a
Linux box grabbing an image every 30 seconds or so.(The module can also
can run in "streaming" mode at about 5 frames per second).

I then used ImageMagick to convert to a very poor quality MPG file, that
you can see at https://youtu.be/WH1A13zad4o

Sure, the images are limited to at most 800x600, frame rates are low,
and is quality is best described as "pretty bad", however you do get the
controller, WiFi, Bluetooth, a uSD slot and 10 GPIO pins that you can
use for other things.

Power is ~150mA when WiFi is active, and haven't tested the deep-sleep
power, but guessing it is about 10mA based on the AMS1117 3V3 regulator.

Have a look at
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ESP32-CAM-WiFi-Bluetooth-Module-Camera-Module-Development-Board-ESP32-with-Camera-Module-OV2640-2MP/32919183232.html
if interested.

Mike