[chbot] The X-plane multiplex problem

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Wed May 16 03:18:43 BST 2018

Hello chaps,

Paul has just subscribed, and I showed him the link for the list archive so
that he can read the recent (and helpful) suggestions.

I'll leave him to digest the recent emails and choose a direction to head
in. There are a myriad solutions to this problem, all valid.

Just to quickly address the point about rotary switches: they are
configured as analogue devices by soldering a resistor network around the
perimeter of the switch because Arduinos have analogue inputs. This saves
wiring complexity, and there are a number of cockpit I/O concentrators
based on Arduino (one example being ArdsimX). The switches are
break-before-make and there is a cap on the output to ground which takes
care of maintaining the voltage during brief breaks in the switch
connection.

I have 'flown' in the simulator, and it's pretty awesome.

Andrew