[chbot] Robotics Group meeting, Monday 14 May 2018, 630pm, 5 Idris Road

Synco Reynders synco.reynders at gmail.com
Tue May 15 07:45:26 BST 2018

Hi Paul (from Oxford) + Guys,
   From what I could gauge Paul was after a simple solution that he could
understand, build and maintain. So my idea would be to point him in the
direction of what to buy and how to wire it up, rather then designing a
custom PCB design.
So following is an outline of the building blocks I'd use for my solution:

HARDWARE
--------

         Ethernet/UDP                i2c + power
X-Plane <============> RaspberryPi <----+--> Panel1 <--> PanelX...

                                        +--> Panel2 <--> PanelX...
                                        :

* Each panel should be self-contained, and have a common connector (think
ethernet connector + cable is good idea)
* They can be in a combination of daisy-chaining or star-configuration, to
suit panel layout.

A search for "i2c" on TradeMe is probably a good starting point for
available I2C modules... eg.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/other-electronics/electronic-components/other/auction-1627424038.htm?rsqid=a42479ffc5a54d57a2f2d3102e0a888e
https://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/other-electronics/electronic-components/other/auction-1628302081.htm?rsqid=a42479ffc5a54d57a2f2d3102e0a888e
https://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/other-electronics/electronic-components/other/auction-1632177890.htm?rsqid=a42479ffc5a54d57a2f2d3102e0a888e
https://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/other-electronics/electronic-components/other/auction-1628152427.htm?rsqid=a42479ffc5a54d57a2f2d3102e0a888e

 * Plan what I2C module are needed and list the used addresses
 * the RPI / linux has good I2C diagnostics. (apt install i2c-tools)
 * https://github.com/ControlEverythingCom/Raspberry-Pi-I2C-Python
 * Run Python on the RPI to do the polling of the I2C modules (switches and
output lamps etc) and sending the associated UDP packet to X-Plane
 * Python to X-Plane via UDP (https://github.com/luizcantoni/x-pi)
 * Here is the list of XPlane parameters that can be read/changed: (suspect
most are in sim/cockpit2/...)
http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xpsdk/docs/DataRefs.html
 * UDP protocol for reference (
http://www.nuclearprojects.com/xplane/xplaneref.html)

Might make a mini instrument panel for myself, :-)
Hope this helps,
/s

Synco Reynders
  m: +64 21 1825332