[chbot] Notes for Robotics Group meeting, Monday 20 Aug 2018, 6:30pm, 5 Idris Road

Trevor Wignall zl3adz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 13:04:48 BST 2018

I had a chat to Henry about his 415 Volt requirement, and it looks as if it
may be all a non-issue. A 230 Volt RMS phase to neutral system has about
400 Volts RMS phase to phase (3 phases), which is nearly the 415 Volts
mentioned. The ratio is 2 * cos(30), which is 1.732 (i.e. SQRT(3)). So why
the small difference? 415 divided by 1.732 gives 240 Volts, not 230 Volts -
the nominal Australian voltage. Aha!
So it all depends on whether you connect the AC voltmeter from phase to
neutral or from phase to phase. The conclusion is that the VFD should be
able to drive the 3 phase motor at its full voltage rating probably without
needing the transformer at all, because that is the type of motor that the
VFD is designed to drive - 400-415 Volts RMS phase to phase.
However I am not an electrical engineer so I am not sure this is totally
correct. Anyone able to confirm this thinking?
Cheers
Trevor