[chbot] Discussion point ! Cell apps

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Fri Aug 10 00:02:48 BST 2018

On Fri 10 Aug 2018 09:33:07 NZST +1200, Marshland Engineering wrote:

> Ok the real problem with 6gb is possibly of 6gb of mistakes. This starts of
> with having to load the matching SDK JDK C++ .Net etc and it seems that
> whenever I load new software, I then spend the rest of the day trying to get
> it to play together. Never had that problem with loading Notepad.

Well stay with notepad then if its functionality suffices... *VBG*

I had the android SDK in mind. I don't know how big it is for a full
install, but you install the first chunk as a downloadable program, then
it post-installs more chunks when you run it, as you request them. The
process was fairly painless on Linux (except you're handing control to
some unknown dodgy program, so create a new user account to run it and
never run it as root). On otherOS it should work as easily. The whole
thing is in itself consistent so I don't quite see how you need to spend
a day fixing it. It doesn't produce ios apps though. I expect any mobile
app SDK to be similar to this, incl the multi-platform-output ones.

If the issue is creating multi-platform desktop applications, for
desktop computers/laptops the answer is Python if it's not too
processing intensive, or C++ with the Qt toolkit. I believe Qt supports
mobile options now. I'm not sure it's possible to create desktop and
mobile apps from the same source code, I suspect the cost in terms of
usability restrictions is high.