[chbot] Group project: Wireless remote security monitor

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Sat Apr 21 05:10:40 BST 2018

Interesting...

Some random thoughts...

Why the 10GHz link, what is the traffic, is freq. just for privacy ?

Bluetooth MAC "Bluetooth devices are assigned addresses similarly to
Ethernet - an organizationally unique identifier (OUI) of 3 bytes
followed by another 3 bytes assigned by the vendor. The Bluetooth
address of a given device is almost certainly independent of an Ethernet
MAC address. Bluetooth OUI lookup tools can be found on Google", from
the ever popular, and sometimes correct Wikipedia.

Assuming that the burglars are using commercial drones, then presumably
only one OUI will be used per manufacturer(?) That may allow you to
exclude a large number of mobile phone manufacturers from the alarm list.

Sounds like you might need a 2.4GHz omi, at some height with a pre-amp -
assuming you can sniff MACs without having to connect to the device
(assume Bluetooth devices broadcast their MAC after association, just as
part of packet transfer).

Not sure if drones will be switched on when passing NZTA's bluetooth
traffic monitoring system.

Just wondering, if you could design a 2.4GHz sky-pointing antenna, then
any WiFi or Bluetooth traffic would be interesting to record, since its
really should all be at ground level.

Saying this all out loud, 2.4GHz traffic received using directional
antenna, pointing straight up may be a cause for concern.

Lets keep thinking about this...

-Mark

I've just heard through the grapevine that there are burglars operating
in the area that utilise a drone for reconnaissance.
 > I'd like to deploy a number of devices with the following specs
around the property and I suspect I'm not the only one here who would
find them useful.

 > Hardware:
 > Hi-res camera
 > Solar panel and 18650 for power
 > 10GHz wireless for communication
 > Bluetooth
 >
 > Features:
 > Remote storage of time lapse photos + motion detection option
 > Remote logging of all bluetooth ID's in vicinity
 > Remote logging of all WiFi ID's in vicinity
 > Remote logging of all Cellphone ID's in vicinity (if possible)
 > Alarm via email if motion detection triggered
 > Alarm via email if certain bluetooth ID detected
 > Drone in vicinity detection?
 >
 > My reason for logging bluetooth is because if the burglars can be
identified by their phone's bluetooth ID, then I suspect the police
could track them down using NZTA's bluetooth traffic monitoring system.

 > How do people feel about collaborating on hardware choice, group buy
and software dev?

 > Robin has already put together a potential base system (ESP32 with
everything there except the camera?).