[chbot] CNC Router Query

Mark Beckett m.beckett at amuri.net
Thu Sep 28 10:47:35 BST 2017

This may open a very large conversation, but you guys seem to be a
really good source of info.

I'm interested in opinion's on CNC Routers.
I was thinking of something around A4-A3 work area, and the ability to
handle aluminium would be nice but not essential.
My thinking is that more solid items are better sent to a shop.

The ShapeOko seems like a good start, but the cost inc freight make it
well into ... "what have you brought ... why" conversation.
http://carbide3d.com/shapeoko/

I'm fairly sure I can find something else to send my money on, but .....

 From what I see you either have the smaller units using Dremel style
cutters, or larger units with fixed routers, or water cooled cutter heads.

The next discussion I see is leadscrew v belts and I note that Shapeoko3
uses dual belts and steppers for the Y carriage, while others promote
having the work move under the cutter (which does require more work area)

I'm also interested in hearing about DIY versions, or what options we
have in the club to someone to laser/cnc the critical parts.

Cheers
mark