[chbot] Personal Laser Cutter

Keith Colson Keith at edns.co.nz
Thu Jun 22 12:15:51 BST 2017

Hi Jody

That is incredibly cheap for a laser cutter so its going to have issues.
Just the reco laser tube for my 60W cost 4.5K

An 80W Chinese machine will not cut 12mm ply, it will just set it on
fire at the slow speed needed. I would guess it would be capable of
cutting 6mm plywood and 10mm mdf. If you have it running "well", which a
lot of people never seem to manage with cheap machines. You also need a
serious extraction system which costs about the same as that machine to
get rid of smoke and contaminants.

I would say 150 to 200 watts would be about right for 12mm ply. Possible
a longer focus lens too. With a 50mm focus I can just cut 10mm acrylic.

Someone mentioned mirror cooling with compressed air. Its actually to
keep the mirrors clean, not cool. But yes, another cost to add for a
compressed air set up. Add a compressed air dryer if you really want to
do it well.

Cheers
Keith