[chbot] LED displays coloured filters

Helmut Walle helmut.walle at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 05:35:25 GMT 2017

On 15/01/2017 11:17 a.m., Charles Manning wrote:

[...]
> [Helmut Walle's earlier comments:]
>     Anyone interested in judging where a polarising filter makes a
>     difference should use a polariser as they are commonly used in
>     photography and try it in different situations. They generally don't
>     make a difference for reflections from metallic surfaces, as the
>     light reflected by metals is not polarised (unless the incident
>     light already was). They do make an amazing difference for
>     portraits, though - saves you a lot of skin powder...
>

> Can't agree with that. Reflection and refraction both cause
> polarisation. Light is polarised significantly by bouncing off a
> flattish surface (eg. water, metal or glass) or even by refraction from
> the sun into the atmosphere. The amount of polarisation is dependent on
> the angle of refraction/ reflection. . Hence fly fishers wearing
> polarised glasses to knock out reflected light so they can see in the
> water and photographers use polarising filters to make the sky darker
> blue (or wash it out) and make the clouds "pop out" (or flatten them)..
>
> See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_filter_(photography) for
> some examples.
>
> A polarising filter can reduce "plastic shine", but the results will be
> very dependent on angle of incidence and I doubt it would help much.

[...]

Here is a quote from the Wikipedia article you are referencing, Charles:
"Light reflected from a non-metallic surface becomes polarized;" - so
how exactly do you not agree with my comments above?

And by the way, the polarised light from the Sky is polarised due to
Rayleigh scattering, not refraction - that is also the reason why it
mostly only can be exploited effectively in photography if you are
shooting perpendicular to the rays of light coming from the sun; and you
can see that this is the case in the first example of the Wikipedia page
with the clouds: the trees' shadows are falling about perpendicular to
the viewing direction. You can easily try this: either face the sun, or
face away from it, and try getting a difference out of a polarising
filter, and there won't be one (or not a practically useful difference
anyway).

Kind regards,

Helmut.