[chbot] 9.6" tablet for < NZ$300

Charles Manning cdhmanning at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 08:01:00 BST 2017

I've been working a lot with USB devices plugged into Android phones and
tablets in the last 18 months or so.

All the phones & tablets I've worked with (many) have been able to power
the devices that I have been plugging into them (up to 250mA or so) and
almost all (ore or two exceptions) have enumerated devices up to 500mA,
however there are some caveats:

1) It certainly does drain batteries quicker.
2) Be very careful about plugging in devices that draw more current than
they enumerate for. I made a stuff up in one release of fw where the device
said it wanted up to 200mA, but then drew 230mA for about 1 second during
initialisation and then dropped to under 100mA.That was enough to damage
the port.  Make sure the current stays below 100mA until enumeration is
complete. Three of the same tablets (Samsungs IIRC) blew their USB ports
and would no longer drive USB devices.
3) Type C connectors are getting popular. They are problematic. Type C OTG
adapters are very iffy. Get Micro AB connectors if you can.