[chbot] C Coding Style

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at paradise.net.nz
Sun Sep 25 07:28:56 BST 2016

On Sun 25 Sep 2016 13:49:50 NZDT +1300, Charles Manning wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions for an editor that stores differentiles" and
> allows you to quickly move between "profiles" for different editing.
>
> For example, I tend to do quite a bit of stuff in the Linux kernel (or
> associated code), so I like my editor set up that way (indent = tabs, not
> spaces: tab width 8 spaces). But then I will likely also work on someone
> else's codebase too where it is indent = 4 spaces, stored as spaces.
>
> First prize would be an editor that supports that with one click/key combo
> and does require that you go change all the settings.

nedit will do all that. All the editor settings can be changed from its
macro code, so you collect up all the settings you want (easy, the
integrated help is good) and bind it to a keyboard shortcut and/or
menu entry.

I said before that nedit has other issues, but I'm still looking for
something better. All the KDE/gnome stuff sucks, and I'll put my flame
suit on before saying that the GNU stuff (emacs, viXYZ) sucks even more.

One big advantage of nedit is that it is an X11 editor that runs
extremely well over ssh (forget KDE/gnome stuff) and only needs basic
X11 libraries, so it doesn't fire up all the desktop stuff. And it's old
style, so no being-smart rubbish turning into being-smartalec useless.
What it shows you is what is in the file. File type? Type? What??