[chbot] email services problem, IMPORTANT please read

Mark Atherton markaren1 at xtra.co.nz
Sat Nov 26 22:06:56 GMT 2016

Hello everyone,

Yesterday (Sat PM, NZ time) we suffered a massive email bounce problem,
mainly associated with GMAIL accounts.

All affected accounts were automatically disabled by mailmain because of
'excessive message bounces'.

75 accounts were affected, and I have just re-enabled all(?) of them by
hand, which was a little painful, to say the least.

There is no apparent reason for this failure, other than possibly a
hiccup at Google, with their mail services suddenly taking offense at
one of our postings.

Again, I don't think we have done anything wrong. Henri Shustak reports
having seen some similar failure at one of his client's sites. The
problem cleared by itself the following day.

Several people have kindly offered to look into the issue.

** if you do get a message from this list saying that your account has
been disabled due to excessive bounces, it may well not be SPAM. Please
then go to kiwibots.org, log into our email services page and re-enable
your account **

Please bear with us. Your membership to the Christchurch Robotics Group
is important to us, and your fellow members.

Thanks, and regards,

Mark Atherton