[chbot] OT: SDR

Richard Jones richard.jones.1952 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 09:02:46 GMT 2016

The SDR question is a little bit like asking which is the best capacitor.

The RTL-SDR with its $8US dongle could be dismissed out of hand or may be
ideal for a given application. Its 8 bit A-D conversion with AGC, wide band
front end and frequency coverage around 24MHz - 1.7GHz has hopeless
adjacent channel performance being deafened very easily. Used within its
constraints it can be amazingly useful. I used it with an external mixer to
get both uplink and downlink into the passband for a DMR monitor. Gnu radio
was used to simultaneously record every uplink and downlink data channel
for an entire wired trunked communications site during development. This
approach allowed precise timing relationships to be measured and protocols
to be analysed as all channels originated from the same data stream. It did
require a careful level plan to ensure that uplink and downlink levels were
similar so that the 8 bit a-d could cope. All bets would be off for using
this system with an aerial, as it would depend on whether your wanted
signal was within a few dB or louder than all other signals in the passband.

So for just a few cents more I wonder what kind of performance you could
get with an addon front end filter?

I think Greg Smith contributed to an open source SDR transceiver project a
while ago. You could try asking him.

Richard